Ablation of a malignant cancer of the liver
Stereotactic CT-guided microwave ablation of a large hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) by 3 projected overlapping ablation zones
Name: PD Dr. med. Anja Lachenmayer & Dr. med. Carlo Tappero
Institution: Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
Patient age and sex: 79 years, female
- Single HCC suspicious lesion in a NASH patient with multiple co-morbidities.
- Due to age and co-morbidities no resection or transplantation possible.
- BCLC A, Child-Pugh B
- Increasing size over time, 35 mm at the time of intervention
- AFP 42.5 IU/ml
Treatment: Minimal invasive percutaneous stereotactic CT-guided biopsy and microwave ablation of a single HCC
Conclusion: Successful and complete ablation achieved by the planning of 3 overlapping ablation zones in a conventionally unablatable liver lesion (due to close proximity to vasculature, location in the liver dome and size) and unresectable (due to co-morbidities of the patient) lesion.
Never miss a case in the future.
1. Axial view of 3 overlapping ablation zones (green), with tumor segmentation (red)
2. Needle view of 3 overlapping ablation zones (green), and tumor segmentation (red)
3. Needle navigation procedure with CAS-One IR
4. Validation of the ablation zone, with tumor segmentation MPR view
5. Validation of the ablation zone, with tumor segmentation needle view
Receive monthly CAScination Cases updates?